Horizons at Ashley Hall
Position: Assistant Teacher
Horizons @ Ashley Hall, a new affiliate of the nationally renowned Horizons program, develops a public private partnership between independent and public school communities to provide academic, cultural, and recreational programs designed to empower economically disadvantaged students to realize their full potential. The heart of Horizons summer is an exemplary academic program that supports a cohort of students in reading, writing, math, and science, paired with swimming lessons, field trips, sports, and enrichment activities in the performing and visual arts. The program also includes a year-round component featuring family events, 6 Saturday academies, enrichment activities and regular visits to and communication with students’ schools and teachers. The program launched in the summer of 2018 with one class of 15 Kindergarten students and one class of 1st grade students, and a grade (15 students) will be added each summer until the program includes K-8th grade. The primary goal of Horizons is to reverse the trend of summer learning loss that adversely impacts the long-term success of low-income students. The student/teacher ratio at Horizons is approximately 5:1.Horizons employs dedicated and enthusiastic educators with a dynamic talent of creating and nurturing a lifelong love of knowledge in children. For more information about our program, please visit our website at www.horizonsatashleyhall.org
A core component of our program is providing engaging and hands-on lessons for our students. We are seeking four experienced, professional individuals to work in conjunction with a Lead Teacher in Grades K, 1, 2, and 3 to implement strategies to engage students in active learning through non-traditional methods in our six-week summer enrichment program. Candidates must work as a team player to help fulfill the Horizons mission.
The Assistant Teacher’s areas of direct responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform classroom duties of teaching and caring for approximately 15 students during a six-week summer enrichment program.
- Help to develop and lead daily, active, hands-on lessons in reading, language arts, math and science.
- Teach lessons and provide evaluative feedback.
- Help to coordinate and adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Set up and maintain a classroom that creates a space for positive learning.
- Provide support for all students during the swim classes daily with the students
- Help in the evaluative report on each student at the end of the summer.
- Work in partnership with the lead teacher as well as any volunteers
- Attend all field trips and participate in daily meals with the students.
- Attend events outside the school day including Family Night and Faculty Meetings as well as all other duties that may be required.
- Attend the pre planning session and a one-week orientation session prior to the start of the program. Timing will depend on scheduled workshops as well as individual classroom prep.
Monday, June 8 - Friday, June 12 - Teacher orientation week and classroom set-up
Monday, June 15 - Friday, July 24 - Six-week program
Please upload a resume and cover letter, outlining your skills and experience through the Apply Now button below.
Horizons at Ashley Hall is an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.